Monday, March 9, 2009

EBR Dissipation Range Report

Success!

Here's the rifle with my ladybug helper:

Michael's Lady friend

Here's the setting for the test:

View across the hollow

And, here's the proof in the pudding:

Michael and his target

Please pardon my goofy grin. I'm not sure what's up with that. Here's the close up of the target in question:

targetzoom

That's at 100-yards, prone. Given a little more time with the gun, and some high-quality ammunition, I'm confident that I can tighten up that group quite a bit. I really see no reason that this should be any less than a sub-minute rifle. It looks like she's pulling slightly to the right, but it got to the point that I didn't want to mess with the sight adjustment any more for the weekend. The gun shoots like a dream, and I should have done this modification a long time ago.

Yesterday, I mounted a single rail on the bottom of the handguard. I'm going to have to get some better handguards to get where I am trying to go with this thing. I still don't think I want to do a quad rail, as I like the low size and weight of the plastic. At any rate, I'm having fun, and that's really the point of the thing. I wish the antis could figure that one out...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, where'd you get the upper? I'm thinking I want one just like that.

Michael said...

Anonymous,

I bought the gun as a complete gun. It is made mostly with Double Star parts, and was assembled by a local military surplus store. I don't know a whole lot about what the exact parts are, but I will tell you what I do know.

The receiver itself has no identifying markings other than the little keyhole impression that you see on some of them. The barrel is the standard, 14.5-inch carbine barrel with the standard 1.5-inch threaded compensator installed on it. It is chambered in 5.56 with a 1:9 twist. The original FSB that was moved forward is an aluminum block made buy Double Star. The low-profile gas block and the full-length handguards are generics.

If you mean that you want a flat-top dissipator, that's easy! Just start with a carbine-length flat-top upper, get a low-profile gas block, full-length rifle handguards, and the triangular end cap to match the handguards, and put the sucker together. This was really the first time that I've attempted to take an upper apart, and they go together like Legos!

You might also check with some retailers in your area, and ask for a dissipator upper. Sometimes, you can find one that's already put together.

I hope that helps!