Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Revolvers of the Evyl Robot Empyre

These are the revolvers that my wife and I have accumulated since we started shooting on January 1, 2008:

P1032644

From left to right, they are as follows:

1) Jenni's S&W 640-2, "Greed."

P1062704

P1062708

Nothing spells out serious quite like a J-frame with five shots of .357 Magnum. The looks grow on you when you spend some time with a Centennial. The stainless frame is heavy enough to tame the full-house Magnums to manageable levels, and the format of the gun makes it easy to hide - even under a petite woman's most feminine of clothing. This gun is fun to shoot, very accurate, and demands that you become a better marksman (or markswoman, for that matter).

2) Our Pre-M10, WWII-era, S&W M&P in .38 Special, "Pride."

P1032654

P1032655

P1032656

This old girl has seen some action, as is shown by the asphalt-themed engraving on the muzzle and cylinder. This is by far the oldest gun in the stable. The blue is mostly gone, but the spirit remains. Even with fixed sights and an obnoxiously high hammer spur, she's proud to put those six shots in the same hole in the center of your target. This one is a piece of history, and a great shooter for beginners and accomplished shooters alike.

3) My S&W M29-10, .44 Magnum with factory engraving, "Lust."

P1032633

P1032634

This one is my favorite. She's also my first ever gun. This gun is beautiful and deadly. Shooting full-house Magnums out of a model 29 is a demanding practice, but master it and you will find that it is a tack-driver. Even with lighter loads, the drop in trajectory is negligible at 150-yards! The gun is way more accurate than I am, and one day I hope to truly master it. It deserves that much from me.

4 & 5) My S&W 586L-Comps, "Wrath" (background) and "Gluttony" (foreground).

P1032650

I bought the first one, "Wrath," as my daily carry. I found that I could shoot it well with either hand, and I liked it so much that I bought the second as a Detroit reload. These babies were built by Smith & Wesson's Performance Center. They have tuned actions, both are cut for moonclips, they are fitted with Trijicon night sights, and they have ported barrels. I haven't been carrying additional reloads yet, as I feel that if 14-shots of .357 Magnum won't get the job done, I need to find a better way out of the fight. I've found that Gluttony's action is a little more smooth, crisp, and consistent than Wrath's. I find that I shoot it a lot more, and it is my right-hand carry. Although I am virtually ambidextrous, I do find that I'm usually a slightly better shot with my right hand. I've been working on my left-handed shooting, and have gotten good with it, but my left lacks the stamina that I've got in my right.

6) Jenni's first gun, a S&W 627PC, "Envy."

P1062709

P1062711

P1062710

And, what gun wouldn't be envious of an eight-shot, .357 Magnum N-Frame tuned by Smith & Wesson's Performance Center, cut for spidery, eight-legged moonclips; fitted with a front gold-bead sight, a ball-detent lock up, and Kim Ahrend's grips? The 5-inch, slab-sided barrel will happily launch all eight bullets through the same hole at any visible distance. The action is so light and crisp that it will spoil a shooter against lesser guns. I don't like to shoot this one in single-action, as the trigger pull is so light and crisp that it is more of a brush than a pull. Truth be told, I don't shoot this one much at all, as it kind of takes some of the challenge out of the sport of target practice. This gun very nearly shoots itself.


As a bonus pic, here are Lust and Envy all snuggled up together:

P1032638

Now, isn't that cute? As each of you has no doubt already detected, being the astute sleuth that would read my blog, we have picked the theme of The Seven Deadly Sins as names for our revolvers. We've decided to limit this theme to our revolvers, and as we have picked up long guns, we've had to come up with something different yet fitting. We don't have any slide-guns yet, but will have to come up with yet another, similar theme. Since we started with religious concepts with worldly applications, we decided to go with more vague religious concepts for our long guns. Hence, Jenni's 20-gauge is known as "Deliverance," our AR-15 is called "Rapture," and I call my 12-gauge "Judgment." Keep checking back, as I'll get back to that soon. I'm looking forward to posting the transformation of my shotgun from entry-level hunting gun to Judgment: Zombie's Bane!

No comments: