Friday, August 15, 2008

Work Related Stress

Like most bloggers, I make an effort to keep the workplace out of my blog. I only blog at work from my lunch break. I don't think the powers that be would have a problem with me talking about my job, but there is a particular etiquette that blocks me from doing much of that. That being said, I have a great job. I really can't ask for any better at this point in life. I don't expect to be doing this for the rest of my life, and my boss knows that. He also knows that he may be in the ground before I no longer work for him. I'm not saying that to be morbid, just illustrating that I'm not a short-timer, and he knows it. Every once in a while, I can't help but vaguely blog about work.

Recently, there have been particular stresses at work, well beyond my control. Yesterday afternoon as I was leaving work, I took a swig of my water as I habitually do prior to leaving. For just a split second, that water tasted like tequilla. My first reaction is that it was a psychological reaction to the stress, and apparently I really wanted a small glass of tequila. Then, I realized that it was simply a combination of flavors - the natural minerals in the water that have come through the saturated filter cartridge on the refrigerator and the licorice-flavored salt-water taffy that I had just eaten. Boy, did I feel silly! I didn't want tequila afterall!

There have been a few situations in my relatively short career in the working force in which a supervisor/manager/owner has asked the nearly impossible of me. I'm not going to claim any particular mad skills at being able to turn water to wine or anything like it, but I will say that I am a problem solver. Even then, most of the times that I've been able to come up with a solution to a seemingly insurmountable problem, it's only been through persistence and being in the right place at the right time.

Suffice it to say that I have been faced with one such problem this week, and I think that I've finally got all the answers and the waters are now calming. I think that for some weird reason, God likes me well enough to keep me employed - keeping me in the right place at the right time. Then again, He knows that I've got a family to feed and a life to finance.

Yesterday, I was wondering how you pound an oversize, round peg through an undersize, square hole. Now, I'm going, "Oh. Like that." I don't know why I always get so worked up, as these things have a way of working out. I know that I didn't really tell you much of anything in this post, but I hope that you will both be patient with me until the next one. Thanks again.

No comments: